Friday, June 1, 2007

Copenhagen, Denmark

Audrey and I arrived in Copenhagen yesterday after spending a night in Hamburg. Copenhagen is on the part of Denmark not attached to Europe's mainland. I fell asleep on the train and when I woke up, we were on the water - I didn't realize that ferries could carry entire trains! Copenhagen is a pleasant city with lots of bicycles and pedestrians, but it´s the most expensive place I´ve been on this entire trip. Finding affordable eateries is a challenge, so last night we settled on ordering off of the appetizer menu at a Mexican restaurant. We waited an hour and a half for our food and our waiter was less than apologetic. Audrey and I kept annalyzing what we possibly could have done wrong and we couldn't pinpoint anything. To top it off, when the waiter brought the bill he refused to let us pay separately (normally not an issue in European restaurants), insisting that he didn´t have enough change to break the 100 kroner bill I tried to give him. In American dollars, that might have been reasonable - but 100 kroner is the equivalent of about 18 U.S. dollars and he would have owed me less than half of that back.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I hear they have amazing service at a little restaurant in exotic Molalla... perhaps you should include it in your itinerary. It is worth the trip! :)