Thursday, June 7, 2007

A photo sampling from Sweden








I wasn't able to post photos when I had Internet access in Sweden, so here are some from the past few days. We took the bus back over the bridge into Copenhagen today and will catch a train to Germany in the morning. It's hard to believe, but I'm now entering the last week of my travels. It's gone by quickly, but at the same time it feels like forever ago that I flew out of PDX. I'm looking forward to seeing family and friends, sleeping in the same bed for more than a few nights, having a closet and clean clothes and re-introducing vegetables into my diet, to name a few. Of course, there are plenty of things I'll miss about Europe, though. But more on that later . . . here's the photo captions:

1) Picnicking in one of Malmo, Sweden's many, many parks. Audrey is shown here taking a bite out of her hefty portion of Gouda. We tried to order 50 grams of cheese from the lady at the grocery store deli, hoping that she would slice it for sandwiches. Instead, she grumpily cut us off a 150 gram block. That's a lot of cheese for two people's lunches, but we managed! The Swedes were all very friendly and helpful - with the cheese lady being the one exception.

2) The Swedish flag - isn't the blue and yellow combo striking? Yesterday was the Swede's National Day, so we saw a lot of flags around town.

3) This is actually a photo from Copenhagen last week. After the soccer game, someone dumped soap into one of the city fountains, filling it with suds. (Can you see the bubbles in the background?)

4) A family of geese swim in a castle moat in Malmo. Malmo's parks are inundated with geese.

5) Malmo's beach. The tall building you see is called the "Twisted Torso" and is Sweden's tallest building, if I remember correctly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So maybe Audrey is going to unleash a singing career in Sweden...or South Africa...
That "twisted torso" building looks lonely - it is odd to see such a tall building in a city scape with no other tall buildings around!
Beth - it will be nice to have another "vegetable eater" at home. I have noticed a big difference with you and Corrin both gone!
Enjoyed the photos!
Love, Mom

Amy said...

I can't wait to eat vegetables with you Beth! That is, er, I hope popcorn is considered a vegetable!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a pretty good lunch!!

I know your family will be glad to have you home. I got to see your "new room" the other day.

Tonight your family was at the camp having a church cookout and then they are off to the airport!

Take Care