Sunday, April 15, 2007

Greetings from Venice!

It's interesting logging onto Blogger in Internet cafes in foreign countries, because not only are the keyboards different, but the entire Blogger Web site is in another language. Therefore, please excuse poor spelling because spellcheck is pretty useless when it's trying to correct my English using an Italian dictionary.

We reached Venice this afternoon after two nights in Florence. I spent the past couple hours wandering around the city - it's beautiful and a complete maze. There's little streets, alleys and bridges everywhere and you never know if they will lead you to another road or a dead end. And with no cars, buses or even bicyles competing for road space, it's the perfect place to be a pedestrian (unlike Rome, where you risk your life every time you cross the street). I carried my camera in hand and snapped lots of photos as I walked. I must have looked like I knew what I was doing because I was asked four times in about half an hour to take pictures for people. Unfortunately, I can't download photos here, so those will have to wait for another day.

Our accomodations here are the best we've had yet - we have a whole apartment to ourselves with a full kitchen! We were hoping to go grocery shopping and cook dinner for ourselves tonight, but evidently all the supermarkets close on Sundays (and they're nearly impossible to find - the maps here aren't very accurate). I guess it will be pizza or pasta yet again . . . I'm not really complaining. I do have a craving for Mexican or Chinese though.

1 comment:

love to travel said...

Watching with great interest your blog site. It conjures up many great memories and reasons to re-visit sites.
Don't forget to get off the main roads and do walking, hiking, ambling through wonderful sideroads and walks to see the real Europe. Tourist spots don't teach one much about the people.
Glad to hear you walked the streets of Venice!! Watch your step, the canals may run deep (-: