Tuesday, May 15, 2007

First Day in Berlin







The weather has been making me feel right at home the past couple days. After spending the afternoon and evening wandering around Frankfurt (see first two photos) and getting drenched, I caught a flight to Berlin last night.


My mom spent about a year here in Berlin when she was near my age working as an au pair (nanny) for the Kasten family. Lucky for me, she has kept in contact with the family and they are letting me stay with them. The Kastens took me on a drive through Berlin this morning and pointed out some of the major sites. It was nice to have locals to give me an orientation! They dropped me off at KaDeWe. Since it was pouring outside, it was a good day to do some browsing in Europe´s largest department store. Ýou wouldn´t believe how many varieties of cheese and sausage exist. The toy section is impressive, too. The photo shows some of the famous Steiff teddy bears - I actually still have mine that the Kastens sent me from Germany when I was a baby.

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Beautiful pictures! Are you getting to spreken ze deutch?

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures! Brings back memories...One of the things I remember about KaDaWe was an incredible display of Gummi Bears and other Gummi candy. That was way back before "Gummi" candy came to the USA. We were only used to "Dots" and gumdrops that stuck to your teeth! I also remember looking for brown sugar and chocolate chips - not to be found even in Europe's largest department store. Das war eine grosse Schade!! No home made chocolate chip cookies! You might be able to find those items there now. You will have to check it out when you go back there with Audrey. Viel Spass - bis spater!